SRU: A Brief History
Slippery Rock University first opened its doors on March 26, 1889, as Slippery Rock State Normal School. Limited to a single mission in teacher education, the first session enrolled 168 students. Over the years, the Rock has graduated thousands of teachers.
In 1916, the school was purchased by the commonwealth, and in 1926 became a four-year teachers college, permitted the following year to change its name to State Teachers College at Slippery Rock.
Slippery Rock State College was established in 1960 and for the first time could award undergraduate and graduate degrees in the liberal arts and in the professions.
Today as part of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education, Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania enjoys an enrollment of nearly 8,700 students in more than 100 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs.
Students are currently enrolled from 40 states and 70 countries.
Slippery Rock: The Story Behind the Name
In 1779, Col. Daniel Brodhead was in command of Fort Pitt at the present site of the city of Pittsburgh. Col. Brodhead begged Gen. George Washington to allow him to lead an expedition against the Seneca Indians who were raiding settlements in the area. The troops encountered the Indians and were forced to flee for their lives.